Eri Yoshida

It's been said Eri Yoshida grew up watching videos of Tim Wakefield's knuckleball to perfect her craft, and now she may be headed to the men's pro leagues. Yoshida, an 18-year-old knuckleball professional pitcher from Japan, has been extended an offer to play for the Chico Outlaws of the Independent Golden Baseball League, the Japan Times reports. She could be the first Japanese woman to play professional baseball in a men's league in the United States, according to the report. Yoshida came to Florida this week to finally meet Wakefield. "I never thought I could ever feel this happy," Yoshida said of the meeting. Some are already asking if Eri Yoshida could be the next Tim Wakefield.
Eighteen-year-old knuckleballer Eri Yoshida, the first woman drafted by a Japanese team, was in Fort Myers today to meet the man who inspired her to pitch.

Back in November 2008, Tim Wakefield said he hoped to see her pitch one day. Today, after Yoshida watched his side session, he returned the favour:

She spun a couple, but for the most part, it was very good. She was able to take the spin out of a lot of them and they had quite a lot of movement on them. ... I had seen film of her and I was pretty impressed at the film. But to see her in person and to actually see her throw, I was very impressed with how she threw and the knowledge she had on the knuckleball, because she told me she was self-taught. This is the first time she's actually ever had coaching throwing a knuckleball. I kind of know where she's at, because I was there when I first started throwing -- nobody knew what to do.
Yoshida:
I never thought I could ever feel this happy.
Yoshida spent the winter pitching for the Yuma Scorpions of the Arizona Winter League. In her second start, on February 11, shethrew five shutout innings against Team Canada.